Saturday, May 22, 2010

Since When Virgin is a Bad Word?

I have always find Malaysian censorship board as a bit loopy. Well the things they decide to sensor or not are just ridiculous sometimes. And the underestimation of the Malaysian public's intelligence is just insulting.But since we have to live with 'em we have learn to accept it as the quirkiness that is Malaysia. Even though it is funny when u think one singer had to rerecord the word 'sex' to 'love' just so it could be played on the radio, but the song "I Want to Make you Sweat" is allowed in its full glory of implications just because the word sex was never mention.

But when I heard what the sensor did in the song 'Hey Soul Sister'by Train, I just got flabbergasted, I don't know in what world it is we live in if virgin is considered a bad word. Have a listen and hear the bleep in this line, "I believe in you, like a virgin, you're Madonna".I can't imagine the discussion they would have had to rationalize that. It must have gone something like this:

A: Virgin is so a bad word, because it is related to sex, we don't want the teenager to think about sex, so let's bleep virgin out of this song.

B: (nods) Yes you are so right, it is a bad word. Let's bleep it.


Frightening isn't it? I don't think I'd want to live in a world where virgin is a bad word. ;)

2 comments: